Ustrasana is a useful and easy asana to maintain our body mentally and physically healthy. The easiest Ustrasana so called because in this posture the body is shaped like a camel. “Ustra” is a Sanskrit word meaning “camel”. Ustrasana in English is called “Camel Pose”. This posture may seem to be not so easy initially but through practice it will surely become easy. Yoga Teacher training in Goa emphasizes on the bene fits of Ustrasana. There are many benefits of Ustrasana to the body, such as back pain, sciatica, slipped disc, and various problems related to women’s monthly cycle. With Ustrasana blood flow in the body gets better. If practiced after whole-body postures Ustrasana is more beneficial.
Yoga Teacher training in Goa discusses the steps in practicing Ustrasana as follows:
- Find a fresh and clean place to practice Ustrasana. Then take a plain chair or mat and spread. (If this asana is practiced in the morning in the open-ventilated place it is more profitable. Ustrasana should always be practiced on empty stomach).
- Sit down and spread out both your legs wide. Bend from the right leg, consult your knees right now to take below the hip. Bend left foot from the knees up and take a left hip down. (It should be exactly like currency is Vajrasana I).
- Now slowly rise above the knees upwards. Go straight up until the waist. (Note- Mind your both knees and toes of both feet must remain close to the upper floor).
- Further, hold the heel of the right footyour right hand,catch left footanklewith left hand. Try to lean your head backwards to the extent possible.
- Take a deep breath in the body longer than normal speed. Try to hold your breath as long as you stay in Ustrasana. (Note- If you wish to breathe while you are in Ustrasana you can do so with deep inhalation and exhalations in same posture.)
- Stay in Ustrasana for 30 seconds to 1minute, then turn and straighten both ankles and kneessit in the Vajrasana. (This asana should be practiced for three times. So sit in Vajrasana to start the next set).
- After practicing Ustrasanastay in Vajrasana for a while and rest in Shavasana to relax.
Yoga Teacher training in Goa listed the advantages of practicing Ustrasana as follows:
- Ustrasana is extremely helpful to reduce the weight of the chest. And waist and neck related problems are overcome easily.
- Ustrasana helps stomach stay clean. Digestive power increases. Hormones and body are controlled.
- Ustrasana makes the body flexible and body muscles get exercise.
- This posture is alsobeneficial to enhance the beauty of the face.
- This postureis helpful to relieve lower back pain and back pain. And the lower backexperiencescomplete relaxation in this posture.
- Ustrasana keeps away from suchpainful troubles asSlipdisk.
- Ustrasana bends completely from the waist band of the primary practice for other hard to get rugs.
- Ustrasana makes the backbone straight and flexible.
- Ustrasana increasesthe lung function. And lung related problems are overcome.
- Ustrasana growsinner part of the throat and stomach. Neck, chest, and abdomen to get more exercise increases the functionality of these organs and these are relieved of diseases.
- The shoulder, ankles, knees, the lower abdomen and the front part of the body will become stronger with regular practice of Ustrasana.
- Continuous practice of Ustrasana can make a person with shriveled chest to build a strong and broad chest. This posture also helps in improving immunity.
Stay as long as you are in Ustrasana holding your breath after inhaling deep enough. If you gain some practice through time you can continue to breathe in Ustrasana and stay in posture for one minute or thirty seconds.
Yoga Teacher training in Goa explains the precautions to be taken while practicing Ustrasana as follows:
- A person with Low Blood Pressureor High Blood pressure should not practice this asana.
- The person suffering from heart disease should also not attempt Ustrasana. It might be harmful for people suffering with migraine too.
- Sharp pain in the groin area, such a person should attempt Ustrasana only after doctor’s advice.
- While Ustrasana right behind the neck pull more strongly. Whilein this posture if you begin to experience back pain or pain in any other part, you must go to the doctor immediately.
- If the neck is overloaded, the nerves carrying the blood and oxygen tobrain may get interrupted andcan cause damage, so keep in mind this point properly.
- If you have undergone surgery in any part of your body, you should not try this asana. Pregnant women should also not try it.
- Remember to keep your mouth closed while doing the Ustrasana and the inhalation and exhalation should happen strictly through nose.
- After Ustrasana heart rate increases slightly higher than usual, so it should be easy, deep breaths while normal speed.